Residential conversion of an abandoned and badly deteriorated school in West Harlem into 79 affordable apartments and a 10,000 SF facility for the Boys and Girls Club of Harlem. Originally constructed as a public school in 1903 by CBJ Snyder, the building had been abandoned for several decades and required extensive and complicated structural repairs. A reconstructed cornice was installed to match the original which had been long ago removed. Other façade work included terra cotta restoration, and extensive graffiti removal and pointing. All work performed to Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation in accordance with the buildings designation on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: 521 West 145th Street, New York, NY
Clients: Monadnock Development / Alembic Development / Boys and Girls Club of Harlem
Architect: Dattner Architects